UVA is focusing on a robust and effective financial management approach enabled by a fully integrated cloud-based technology solution for the University, with the intention to leverage industry best practices, develop a future state business model, and enable the utilization of modernized tools.
Our goal is to reduce administrative burden, make compliance with regulations and policies easier and more consistent, strengthen our risk management framework, and allow the University community to better steward resources in support of its mission. At every turn, we seek to answer the key question: “How can we, through this transformation, make UVA a better university -- more preeminent in research and teaching, more deeply engaged in service, more accessible and affordable?
The project team is seeking mission-driven individuals who are flexible, team-oriented, and highly motivated to support UVA through the transformation and system changes. The team is seeking individuals across a broad variety of roles for business process analysis and improvement, reporting, technical integrations, conversions, and change management. We are excited by the opportunity this project presents to grow and develop our internal talent.
This position is the FST’s technical team Conversion Lead role, which includes the responsibilities and qualifications described below. The Conversion Lead is eligible to participate in the generous FST incentive program.
Reporting to the Workday Financials Implementation Lead, the FST Conversion Lead provides overall leadership and hands-on support for the Conversion workstream, which is responsible for developing an overall strategy for the transferral of UVA financial data to Workday Financials, as well as the design, development, testing and successful execution of data conversions for the Workday Financials implementation.
This position is initially limited to the duration of the project, currently estimated to be December 31, 2021.
- Lead process owners, subject matter experts and team members within each finance functional area through a discovery process to identify current state financial information, and determine what data will be converted to Workday. Functional areas include (but are not limited to) financial accounting, banking, business assets, grants, gifts/endowment, accounts receivable, accounts payable, expenses, and procurement.
- Develops an overall strategy and a detailed work plan for designing, developing, testing and deploying conversions, including the prioritization and sequencing of conversions.
- Lead team of conversion developers through the above work plan.
- Develop detailed understanding of Workday iLoad and EIB processes.
- Maintain inventory of all required conversions, and clear documentation of each conversion’s functional and technical requirements.
- Develop and implement a standardized institutional approach to the design, development and deployment of finance integrations.
- Identify high value opportunities to streamline and improve the quality of converted data across all finance areas.
- Develop conversions in a high quality manner, using standard tool sets.
- Implement peer review process for conversion program code.
- Develop, document and execute detailed processes and test scenarios to validate the accuracy and quality of converted data.
- Partner closely with the Deployment Manager to sequence all data conversions on the master cut-over plan.
- Partner closely with the change management function to communicate community and end user impacts of data conversions.
- Perform other duties as required.
Functional Area Outcomes
- Native ability to demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to navigate ambiguity in a highly dynamic and changeable environment.
- Understands the broad impacts of decisions and process changes, and how it impacts upstream and downstream systems and activities.
- Actively engages with strategic transformation activities as needed or required.
- Contributes reporting and analytical insights as needed to enable informed and accelerated decision making.
- Promote data consistency, accuracy, and completeness within articulated data standards and the needed security to safeguard and steward the appropriate use of information.
- Foster a culture of continuous innovation & seeking out effective use of resources.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline is required. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience: At least seven years of relevant experience is required. Five to seven years of experience as a lead, senior integration, conversion analyst, or developer on a large scale enterprise implementation is preferred. Two years of experience managing a team of developers is preferred.
- Certifications: Certified in a third party integration technology such as web-methods, Informatica, Talend, Dell Boomi, SOAP / REST API web services is preferred.
Preferred Experience and Competencies
- Outstanding communication skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical information to non-technical users, and ability to communicate accurate status to project leadership.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and a dedication to developing self and others.
- Outstanding aptitude and ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies, including Workday iLoads, EIBs, Workday Web Services, Workday custom reporting, Workday data sources.
- Strong ability to understand the underlying business function being served by integrations.
- Effective project management skills, with ability to plan effectively, efficiently, and to deliver on time.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple efforts and concurrent priorities.
- Exhibit a high level of attention to detail, analytical acumen, intellectual curiosity and creativity.
- Demonstrate honesty, integrity and respect for other individuals.
- Excellent judgment. You have the rare combination of being able to make quick decisions with your gut and measured decisions with your head. You can pull on your strong analytical abilities or your instincts at the right times to make the right judgment call.
- You take ownership. You constantly seek opportunities to optimize processes and improve efficiency. You’re communicative and comfortable working with and through a range of different people and builds relationships quickly.
- You are resilient and flexible. You seek out direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
- You are thoughtful and intentional. You always think steps ahead. Before asking questions, you prepare your own answers, even if they are just first draft thoughts.
- You are resourceful and practical. You are able to take different kinds of input, quickly and effectively sort out action plans.
Required Computer Applications:
- Hands-on experience working with enterprise integration technology such as webMethods, Informatica, Talend.or Dell Boomi (or similar) is required.
- Hands-on experience with web API services such as REST and SOAP (or similar) is required.
- Hands-on experience with a third party reporting tool such as Tableau, Qlikview, Microsoft Power BI (or similar) is required.
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and experience with Office and desktop productivity tools such as Office 365, Zoom, Sharepoint, Visio and MS Teams is required.
- Workday HCM, Workday Financials, Workday Studio, Workday Enterprise Interface Builder (EIB) and iLoads is preferred.
UVA Finance Strategic Transformation (FST)
UVA is focusing on a robust and effective financial management approach enabled by a fully integrated cloud-based technology solution for the University, with the intention to do the following:
•Leverage industry best practices.
•Develop a future state business model.
•Enable utilization of modernized tools.
Our goal is to reduce administrative burden, make compliance with regulations and policies easier and more consistent, strengthen our risk management framework, and allow the University community to better steward resources in support of its mission.
FST’s vision is to empower leadership, faculty, management, and staff with the financial information, services, and acumen needed to advance the mission of the University and its schools on a timely basis, so they are able to strategize, spot trends and plan ahead, steward financial resources for the greatest and best use, and operate efficiently and effectively.
•Promote a culture that values strategic thinking, transparency, entrepreneurism and continuous improvement.
•Broadly strengthen our financial acumen and promote a proactive, forward-looking, multi-year approach to financial planning and management.
•Align decision-making authority with responsibilities across schools, departments, and central units.
•Provide meaningful and easy to navigate dashboards and reporting tools to meet the needs of leaders, faculty, and staff.
•Improve our data architecture to make it easier to extract information and generate reports needed for planning, decision-making, and supporting day-to-day operations.
•Establish a governance model for defining data, designing and maintaining the Chart of Accounts to maintain its integrity, and for maintaining alignment of the platform with business needs.
•Provide a fully integrated, real-time Workday platform that supports efficient and effective business operations supported by common processes to the greatest extent possible.
For more information regarding the FST, please visit: https://financetransformation.virginia.edu/
Please apply through Workday and search for ‘'Finance Strategic Transformation Conversion Lead." Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, title, relationship, email address, and telephone number) all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA).
Anticipated Hiring Range: $100,000 - $130,000 commensurate with candidate credentials.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.